Feb 9, 2009

Reedy Creek Park, Charlotte, NC

Ya'll come set a spell, y 'hear?

-
While the ground was still muddy from Charlotte's recent snowfall, the sidewalk upon which we now walked was dry and warm with sun. We had traveled up to Charlotte to visit some kin and found ourselves in a warm, wooded park with sunshine on our shoulders.
-
The sidewalk leading up to the Reedy Creek Nature Center and Preserve was spotted with painted-on animal tracks, but Eva & I spent little time studying the tracks, for we were desperately seeking Emma. So it was surprising, upon finding Emma, to see the apprehension between the girls. They stayed quietly apart, studying the deer, the fox or the turtle quite separately. Most peculiar. These cousins are also BFF's and usually all over each other.




It was the chalkboard that drew the girls back together & I can't tell you why, but after the chalkboard, they were happy-go-lucky again.
-
It's difficult to live far away from the people you love. Sometimes the reunion is magic; you pick up right where you left off, almost as if you were never apart. Other times, the air is charged, something intangible creates unease.
-

"A friend hears the song in my heart & sings it to me when my memory fails."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"difficult to live so far away" I thought you lived within a couple hours of your relatives in Charlotte. Now if you lived in NYS I could see you making that statement. This post makes you seem like a typical writer who takes liberties with the actual facts.

Poof said...

Drifty, Today's packed & I can't take much time to ruminate, but I have a couple thoughts about your comments right off the top of my head. I have family in Michigan, NY, NJ, FL, etc, so I do speak truth with my comments. I don't think that is what is causing your angst. Perhaps your angst over my writing resulted from the change in my style here. I altered it up to challenge myself, to provide something different for a change & because these photos and the trip itself affected me this way. It was a very odd visit inside that nature center, even among us adults and it affected me.
Typically, my writing style is like a personal letter to a family member or like a journal entry. In this post, I altered my style and made it more like fiction or creative writing. You probably sensed that I wasn't being true to my style. I had fun playing with my style and, when I have the time, I will continue to do so. Due to the necessity for speed writing, I can't do this often.
Your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Val: I misunderstood what you said about living far away from the people you love. I thought you were talking about those who live in or around Charlotte, which I do not consider far from you, not realizing you were talking about your whole realm of relatives and friends not just those you mentioned in today's blog. You have to remember that my brain is old and does not think in abstract. I will try to dwell a little farther into what I think you are trying to get across. Sorry about being so dense.

PS - for your friends who don't know better, I still believe that the granny smith apple is absolutely the best apple ever. My wife bought galla for me to try but they just do not have the zing of a granny smith. I like biting into something soild with a little tartness rather than the mushiness you get in all the other apples.

Anonymous said...

From now on, Driftwood can buy his own awful sour apples and I'll buy my own wonderful, juicy, scrumptious apples and we can keep them in separate parts of the fridge and the world will be fine. Right?

Poof said...

Well, Mrs. D. Thanks for chiming in. I bet you have your hands full with that Driftwood. Maybe we can form a support group. (hmmm, I think I see a new blogpost in the makings)