Feb 6, 2009

Happy Birthday Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan was born in Tampico, IL, February 6, 1911. I was a tender 20 years old for the 1984 Reagan/Bush campaign, his second term, and it was my very first time to vote. I was so proud to be a part of the "Women for Reagan Bush '84" campaign. I still have my Women for Reagan Bush '84 bumper sticker on my altered notebook I use 3 days a week for business. Hopelessly caught in the past.
-
Reagan was an actor in the '30s & a Democrat. In '62, he switched to the Republican party and in the late 60's became governor of California. Once in the oval office (1980), his supply-side economic policy brought us the term "Reaganomics." That was an awesome time to be an American. We were hopped up on deregulation and ending the Cold War. Reagan left the White House in '89, informed us of his Alzheimer's in '94 & died in 2004.
-
I liked Reagan's optimism and honesty. I liked his smirk. I liked his "guy-next-door" friendliness. I liked his love for this country and his love of God. I'm going to leave you with some of my favorite Reagan quotes. May it fill you with his boundless hope for our future and the warm memories of our past:
-
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Today we did what we had to do. They counted on America to be passive. They counted wrong.

Without God, democracy will not and cannot long endure.

Facts are stubborn things.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

Recession is when a neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours.

You get what you see. That's me.

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at?

But there are advantages to being elected President. The day after I was elected, I had my high school grades classified Top Secret.

I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting.

Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.

Thomas Jefferson once said, 'We should never judge a president by his age, only by his works.' And ever since he told me that, I stopped worrying.

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music.

Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.

1 comment:

JMaslar said...

Ronnie was my hero as he took it to the media!